Pet Emergency Clinic

SW Louisiana's After Hours Pet Hospital!

Blog

Pet Hooverettes- Ingesting Bad Things

Posted by petemergencyclinic on May 13, 2014 at 7:50 PM

UPDATE TOPIC- WHEN PETS ARE HOOVERETTES

 

 

Dear Fellow Pet Lovers,

 

Recently, I treated a beautiful, young adult Labrador Retriever that had

ingested a long piece of cloth that was blocking his intestinal tract.In

addition to causing the obstruction, the frayed cloth began to act like

a string. The small intestines bunched up around the "string", causing

the intestines to be cut. Despite having over 2 hours surgery including

removal of a foot of non-viable small intestine, removal of the string

and all multiple repairs of perforations, this fine young pet did not

survive. long

 

Why am I giving you this "bummer" story during the holiday season?

Because your pets will have meny opportunities to ingest foreign

materials during this season.

 

How to avoid such problems?

-Never leave your pet alone with foreign materials such as ribbons,

wrapping paper, or even towels.

-Be certain that any pet toys are safe- I have seen them swallowed

before.

-Do not leave food on the counters when a dog is around. I have had to

surgically remove a large turkey bone from the stomach of a small Lhaso

Apso one Christmas holiday.

 

As always, it is smart to anticipate possible problems before they

occur, especially when there are pets around.

 

But if you do get into trouble this fine season and it is business

hours, call your DVM. If the problem occurs after hours, PetER at

337-562-0400.

 

 

That is all.

 

 

Dr. John Emerson, Pet Emergency Clinic

 

Categories: General

Post a Comment

Oops!

Oops, you forgot something.

Oops!

The words you entered did not match the given text. Please try again.

Already a member? Sign In

0 Comments